Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Hmmm... when's this little guy going to join us???

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Week 28

Week 28! Can you believe it?! My friend Erika said that I'm finally looking my gestation. Photos of me to come soon, but first... my baby =)




By this week, my baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can open and close his eyes, which now sport lashes. This movement is more of a reflexive blink than a deliberate opening and closing.

Now, I received an a letter this week, with an interesting comment. They referred to someone having Braxton Hicks contractions as though that indicated an onset of labour. NOT TRUE. To dispell this myth, if you were under that impression...

What are Braxton Hicks contractions?

"Braxton Hicks contractions are sporadic uterine contractions that start about 6 weeks into your pregnancy, although you won't be able to feel them that early. You probably won't start to notice them until sometime after mid-pregnancy, if you notice them at all. (Some women don't.) They get their name from John Braxton Hicks, an English doctor who first described them in 1872.

As your pregnancy progresses, Braxton Hicks contractions tend to come somewhat more often, but until you get to your last few weeks, they'll probably remain infrequent, irregular, and essentially painless. Sometimes, though, Braxton Hicks contractions are hard to distinguish from early signs of preterm labor.

By the time you're within a couple of weeks of your due date, your contractions may get more intense and more frequent, and they may cause some discomfort. Unlike the earlier painless and sporadic Braxton Hicks contractions, which caused no obvious cervical changes, these contractions may help your cervix "ripen" — gradually soften and thin out (efface) and maybe even dilate a bit. This period is sometimes referred to as pre-labor."

I say this because I too have had numerous BH contractions (confirmed to me by a doctor), and when I told someone completely of a non-medical profession... they didn't believe me. But, there you have it. BH contractions can start at 6 weeks! Mine have been uncomfortable, but not really painful. It feels like my stomach is tightening, like a massive charlie horse coming on, but not to that painful extent. It makes my stomach rock hard... pretty weird.

I need to get ready for church, but photos of me to come soon!

No comments: